photo bg3strip_zps84a0a992.jpg

Monday 17 December 2012

Lipstick Post #1 - Plucking up the courage.


Lipstick has - until recently - been an area of make up I've left well alone. I was all 'it's bright, it's scary, not everyone wears it so I'll be -gasp- DIFFERENT, and it smudges and gets on your teeth'. There are also so many shades it was quite frankly daunting; I mean how many shades of red can there possibly be?! The answer to that is a lot. Then there are different formulas, brands, methods of application ... I stuck to my trusty Burts Bees lip balm (review coming up if you're interested, I'll pretend you are).

However, it's always fun to try something new with make up, so I decided I'd give it a go, starting small of course (because I'm a massive wimp). I started out with a few different varieties of nude lipstick, progressed into a pale pink, then a brighter pink, a few reds, a vampy oxblood shade, and now? I've asked for Mac Chili and Rebel for Chistmas. I feel that makes me a proper lippy wearer, oui?





Tips for plucking up the courage to wear bright lipstick:

  • Start small. Go for a sheer, nudey pink colour; think your lips but better.
  • Wear it for a night out - everyone wears dramatic make up on a night out.
  • Pick a low maintenance formula. 17's Lasting Fix is a good one.
  • If you're going for a more daring colour, dab it on with your finger rather than going straight from the bullet.
  • A natural balmy texture is generally more wearable than a matte lipstick or a high gloss one.
  • Wear it round the house all day, you'll get used to how it feels, and seeing it on yourself when you look in the mirror.
  • Put it on. Take a photo. Instagram it. Breathe in all the likes, and accept that it looks gooood.
  • Try a pen/stain formula first, they're very wearable and you can't even feel them.
  • Just DO it. Put it on, go out, own it *insert Tyra-style comment/gesture here*.

P.S. This post is just the start. Keep an eye out for tips on how to apply your lipstick and make it last, a guide on which colours suit you, info on the lip trends this season and posts on the best sheer, matte, cream, shimmer and even glittery (yeah, maybe not) shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment