photo bg3strip_zps84a0a992.jpg

Wednesday 28 November 2012

How to style Maxi Skirts for Winter.

Ah, maxi skirts. Floaty fabric in pastel colours, keeping you nice and cool in the hot sun, blowing around in the Summer breeze, worn with a simple tank top, sunglasses and flip flops. Right? Wrong. It's Winter now, snap out of your daydream people! Maxis have been given an update, with heavy, dark coloured fabrics and now you can wear them with your cosy tights and jumpers, score.

As a general rule of thumb, I wear anything with my maxi (a black jersey Topshop number with a split up each side, which doesn't appear to be on the website any more). Trying new things keeps it looking interesting, and as it's just a simple black skirt it'd be totally pointless to limit yourself, chances are it'll go with the majority of winter stuff you have in your wardrobe.

For the day, try teaming your skirt with a tucked in t shirt, or a loose drapey vest hanging out. Chunky knit cardigans or loose jumpers will keep you warm and cosy, or try a leather jacket to toughen it up. Fine knit jumpers belted at the waist look great. Shoe-wise, chunky Lita-style heels look great, or try some flatforms (they're growing on me). I tend to just wear my regular ankle boots with a little chunky heel, or ballet flats. When it comes to jewellery, go for studs and crosses which are EVERYWHERE at the minute but I love them regardless.

For nighttime, try a more fitted skirt, maybe with a raunchy little slit up the side (though I wear this during the day. What that says about me I don't know). Mix up your textures - try a sheer blouse with an embellished collar tucked in, or a leather (read: faux leather) peplum top. If you have killer abs - and you're not shy - you could even go for a sequin bralet, I wish I could pull that off. Keep your heels high and your jewellery gothic, and carry an oversize clutch to fit your studded flats in for when your feet hurt too much. Is it only me that does that?

Here are some ideas for you visual folks.

Daytime

Wear with casual tops and chunky knits to keep you warm, patterned scarves will add some interest to the look. Chunky shoes and on trend jewellery finish off the look.
Night time

As a general rule, go for different fabrics and sparkly embellishments.  Wear a fitted blazer to keep warm, and try a dressy top and high heels with your skirt. Dress it up even more with jewellery.

And, because I'm good to you, I've picked out a few of my favourites from Lookbook to inspire you even more. As usual, click to enlarge.



2 comments:

  1. where did you get the outfits from ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the day/night images on Polyvore, you can find them on my account (I'll post the links for you at the end of this comment) and on there you'll be able to find prices, stores etc.
      The bottom photos are from Lookbook.nu!

      Day: http://www.polyvore.com/maxi_skirts_for_winter/set?id=64408878
      Night: http://www.polyvore.com/maxi_skirts/set?id=64410264

      Delete